Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Quick Project

Last weekend at the fiber fair, I was demonstrating how to make a sew-as-you-go beret with the yarn I'd brought along for bulky demos - some monkey brown and bright red that I had - and as usual, I made a baby size so the demo would go quickly.  I alternated the colors beach-ball style since I didn't have a variegated yarn with me.  This hat is in the Goldilocks book in four sizes for the bulky machine, but the techniques are the same as the Tam Take Two video.

Generally, when you teach, you make little piles of goofy swatches.  Two whole days of knitting, and it gets to be quite a pile, but nothing anybody could call a project.

This little demo item looked like it would be cute, and our club needs baby stuff for the childrens' shelter, so I finished it.  Finishing it requires one Kitchener seam, a short bit of mattress stitching to join the ribbing, and in this case, I added the pom-pom.  I had told the class I was planning to sew it up, so now they can see it here.

I enjoy making small projects - hats, scarves, slippers, and the like. Whipping up some little goodie at the end of a long day is a great feeling.

What small projects are you knitting?  I saw dozens and dozens of very small projects at the fair (even small jobs take a while with hand knitting) - shawlettes, cowls, hats, fingerless gloves, and the like.

By the way, Knit Natters club is holding a "Knit In" in November, making lap robes.  We'll have a great day at the church, and Cupcake has promised to grill burgers for us.  For my knitting, I thought I'd set up a knitting machine with its ribber, bring some coned stash I need to reduce, and do various ribbed patterns.  Once you bind off and hide the ends, you've got a finished project.






No comments:

Post a Comment